From Tiganesti ridge (Culmea Tiganesti) you will get some of the best panoramic views over the glacial valleys in Bucegi Mountains, the entire eastern side of Piatra Craiului Massif and the whole Rucar-Bran Pass.
This trail is a 3 hour moderate hike that descends from Omu Peak (2505 m) to Cabana Malaiesti chalet (1720 m). There are a few steep portions secured with cables where increased attention is required.
- Read here how to get to Cabana Malaiesti.
- Turn this trail into a loop by taking this spectacular trail to Omu Peak from Cabana Malaiesti.
- Trail: Varful Omu – Varful Scara – Saua Tiganesti – Saua Crucii – Cabana Malaiesti
- Starting point: Varful Omu Peak (2505 m)
- Destination: Cabana Malaiesti (1720 m)
- Seasonality: closed during winter
- Duration: 3 h
- Length: ~7 km
- Markings: red stype, yellow stripe
- Difficulty: moderate
- Equipment: good hiking boots
- Closest accommodation unit to the start of the trail: Cabana Omu Chalet
- Closest town to the start of the trail: Busteni (5 h)
Red stipe (2h):
- Omu Peak (2505 m) – Saua Hornurilor saddle (2311 m) ~30 min
- Saua Hornurilor – Varful Scara Peak (2422 m) ~30 min
- Varful Scara – Turnurile Tiganesti – Tiganesti refuge in Saua Tiganesti saddle (2195m) ~1h
Yellow stripe (1h):
- Saua Tiganesti saddle – Tiganesti glacial lake ~15 min
- Tiganesti glacial lake – Saua Crucii saddle (1885 m) ~30 min
- Saua Crucii saddle – Cabana Malaiesti chalet (1720 m) ~20 min
Directions and checkpoints
Omu Peak (2505 m) – Saua Hornurilor saddle (2311 m)
30 min, red stripe
From Cabana Omu go to the signpost in front of the weather station and head west following the red stripe markings towards Bran.
Saua Hornurilor – Varful Scara Peak (2422 m)
30 min, red stripe
From Cabana Omu you will reach the intersection at Saua Hornurilor (2311 m) in about 30 minutes where you will see a signpost.
The trail marked with blue cross descends to Malaiesti Chalet via Hornul Mare. This is the only way to get to Omu Peak from Malaiesti during winter.
From Saua Hornurilor saddle continue the ascent on red stripe towards Varful Scara Peak (2422m).
Varful Scara Peak (2422 m) – Hornurile Malaiesti – Tiganesti refuge in Saua Tiganesti saddle (2195m)
1h, red stripe
From Varful Scara you will have an impressive view over Valea Gaura (The Valley with the Hole) and Piatra Craiului Massif.
Continue on red stripe towards North. At first, the trail descends abruptly towards Turnurile Malaiesti (Malaiesti Towers). You will need to hold on to the chains and cables embedded in the rocks. Be careful because there may be loose wires that can hurt your hands.
From Tiganesti Towers the trail starts to slowly descend towards Saua Tiganesti (2195 m), where you will find Tiganesti bivouac refuge.
Saua Tiganesti saddle (2195m) – Tiganesti glacial lake – Saua Crucii (1885 m)
~45 min, yellow stripe
From Saua Tiganesti start to descent on yellow stripe towards Tiganesti glacial lake and continue on the contour lines towards Saua Crucii (The Saddle of the Cross).
Saua Crucii saddle (1885 m) – Cabana Malaiesti chalet (1720 m)
~20 min, yellow stripe
From Saua Crucii saddle continue on yellow stripe towards Malaiesti Chalet. It will be a steep descend, but it only takes 20 minutes to get to the chalet. In front of you, at the East you will see the wall of Bucsoiu, with Brana Caprelor ledge.